Do you miss boxing games? I sure do. Growing up in in the ’80s and 90’s, Ring King for the original NES rocked my world (pun intended).
Harkening back to those halcyon days, Boxing Champs – an arcade boxing game by indie dev Raz Games – will be hitting Steam real soon. In fact, it lands just a week from now: Thursday, May 30!
Boxing Champs does a great job of mixing top-down arcade gameplay (think Punch-Out!! – but from a different angle) with more traditional boxing mechanics that use both analog sticks to deliver the goods. Despite the cartoon-like visuals, players have full control over punch selection, combinations, and knockouts – resulting in an intense, arcade-like experience akin to ‘80s and ‘90s beat ‘em ups.
Over short three-round bouts, players can challenge friends in local multiplayer (online is in the works) or in a full-blown Career Mode with 30 preset characters. You can also create your own boxers with a robust customization system. Finally, Boxing Champs features multiple arenas (including Las Vegas, New York, and Los Angeles) and four different champions that stand between you and the title.
Snap the jab from the outside and throw combinations – or get inside with hooks and uppercuts to deliver the winning blow. Can you knock it out of the ring and become the undisputed World Champion?
- Boxer customization: Choose from 30 preset boxers – or create your own, with 70+ hairstyles, hair color, body color, body type, gloves, shorts, and boxer stats.
- Defeat four champions: You’ll need to win all four belts to unify the title!
- Full punch control: Use a traditional button-driven control scheme or feel every punch as you move the analog stick in the direction you want to hit!
- Multiple arenas: Fight in Las Vegas, New York, Los Angeles, the Downtown Gym – or the Boxing Champs Arena.
- Career mode: Create your boxer, train, and move up in the world rankings.
- Single-player and multiplayer: Take on the AI or challenge friends for all the title belts. (Online multiplayer coming soon!)
- Cartoon-like graphics and sound: Nostalgic without having to resort to pixel art 🙂
Check out the Boxing Champs on Steam and pick yourself up a copy!